Writing Center Services
The Writing Center is located in the Arts & Sciences Building, Room 202.
Providing assistance to LCC students with writing projects in courses across the curriculum.
- face to face
Face to face appointments should be scheduled by calling us at 517-483-1907, by popping into our chat window (on the "Contact Us" page) or by stopping by the Writing Center in Room 202 A&S. (These appointments cannot be set up via email.) Though the Writing Center offers walk-in assistance when appointments are not filled, this assistance is very limited due to student demand. Therefore, we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE students to plan ahead and to make appointments. Appointments can be scheduled up to one week in advance.
Online assistance is provided via a D2L chat room and must be scheduled in advance. Please visit our "Online Assistance" page where you will be prompted to send us an e-mail request to schedule an online appointment. We will do our best to process your request as quickly as possible. However, due to high demand, we ask that you give us up to 48 hours to respond.
Would you like assistance with
- brainstorming ideas?
- generating a rough draft?
- polishing your writing?
- developing more effective strategies for writing?
- come talk with us!
"It was a very positive experience working with the
Writing Center. They made me feel comfortable and gave me solid feedback on
Jennifer Rigterink, Nursing Major
What should you expect from the Writing Center?
- individual assistance on the writing issues that concern you
- helpful, courteous, and competent Writing Assistants
- support for writers at all levels of experience and at any stage in the writing process
- improvement in your overall writing ability after repeat visits
What shouldn't you expect from the Writing Center?
- an editing service where we do all the work while you sit back and
We strive to help you learn to help yourself!
- a perfect paper...
Fifty minutes is often not enough time to address everything. Repeat visits may be necessary to polish your writing. The goal of the Writing Center is to help you become a better writer, not just to perfect a particular paper.
- flawless peer writing assistants who know all the answers...
But what we don't know, we'll try to find out!
- answers to all your writing questions in just one or two sessions...
Becoming a better writer is a process that happens gradually.
What else should you know?
- Bring a specific writing task to work on along with any ideas, notes, drafts, your writing assignment, and any other relevant materials.
- Be prepared to take an active role in your sessions. Let the writing assistant know what concerns you most about your paper and what you'd like to focus on.
- Plan ahead. Schedule appointments in advance in order to be guaranteed assistance.
We are eager to assist you with your writing needs. Please feel free to contact us.
Arts and Sciences Division
Arts and Sciences Bldg, Room 202
Phone: (517) 483-1907
Additional contact information »