Lesson 3: Creating a Positive Environment
- Arrive early to set the room up as desired.
- Seating arrangement is determined by the tone or atmosphere desired, as well as the physical limitations of the room.
- Check for the following: markers, erasers, lighting, room temperature, number of desks/chairs, etc.
- Write your name and the course code on the board. (This helps those students who might be in the wrong classroom.)
- Post the class agenda on the board.
- Greet students as they arrive.
- As students arrive have them fill out a 3 x 5 card with information that you desire, such as name, phone number, past educational experience, why they took the course, etc. If the class is not opposed, ask for a volunteer to type a class roster with names, phone numbers, and/or email addresses.
- 5 x 7 cards can also be provided and tented to display the students' names until the instructor learns all names.
- Use good human relationship skills, such as eye contact, active listening, smiling, etc.
- Provide a ten minute break every fifty minutes and let students know where food and beverage are available.
- Start on time and end on time.
Open Hours for "Get The Grades Out Week"
December 9 - 12: 8 am - 6 pm
December 13: 8 am - 5 pm
December 16: 8 am - 6 pm
December 17: 8 am - 7 pm
To send an APPLEGRAM online,
fill-out the Applegram form.