The Lansing School District's Fairview Elementary is offering an innovative Kindergarten satellite opportunity for the 2010-2011 school year housed at the Early Childhood site. Students from all school districts are welcome to apply to Early LCC Kindergarten.
This classroom's model is based on the Reggio Emilia philosophy and curriculum. The Reggio Emilia approach is based upon the following principles:
- An emergent curriculum that builds upon the interest of children.
- Projects are in-depth studies of concepts, ideas, and interests, which arise within the group.
- It calls for the integration of the graphic arts as tools for cognitive, linguistic, and social development.
- Children are encouraged to dialogue, critique, compare, negotiate, hypothesize, and problem solve through group work.
- The teacher is a teacher-researcher, a resource and a guide as he/she lends expertise to children.
- Documentation of children's work is viewed as an important tool in the learning process.
- Classroom environment is an important aspect in the delivery of the curriculum.
- Children are offered a light breakfast and afternoon snack.
Early LCC offers a before and after school care program for children attending kindergarten. This program will provide care from 7:30 am to 8:45 and from 3:30 to 5:30. Trained teachers will provide indoor and outdoor age appropriate activities and will escort the children to or from their classroom each day. This program is being offered five days/week for the entire school year. Optional fulltime care will be available when school is not in session (i.e. Holiday vacations, Spring Break).
Please apply at:
815 N. Fairview
Lansing, MI 48912
Early Learning Children's Community
601 North Washington Square
Phone: (517) 483-1100
Additional contact information »