Link to Articles in Research Databases
You can link to articles from databases in D2L because many vendors give
copyright permission to library patrons to establish links.
Important Note About D2L: Article links must open outside of
D2L. Select "Open as an External Resource" when creating links.
Step 1: Find the Right URL
Instead of using the URL from the web browser, find the persistent URL (PURL)
provided by the database.
Below are instructions for finding PURLs in some popular databases:
- Academic or General OneFile (Gale) - Click
on Bookmark this Document in the Tools box to the right of the
article and copy the URL.
- ProQuest Central - Copy the Document URL
below the article in the Indexing Details.
- Issues and Controversies (Facts on File) -
Copy the Record URL below the article.
- SIRS Knowledge Source - Copy the URL from
the browser window
- CINAHL (Ebscohost) - Click on Permalink in
the Tools box to the right of the article and copy the URL.
Step 2: Create Links that Work Off-campus
Use the box below to add the proxy prefix so the link will work off-campus by
asking patrons to log in with a TUID and password.
Proxy Prefix: https://lcc.idm.oclc.org/login?url=
Step 3: Add the Link to Desire2Learn
Take the link above and add it to Desire2Learn.
- Log in to Desire2Learn.
- Select Content.
- Select the Module you want the object to appear in or create a new
- Select New and then Create a Link
- Type the article title in the Title box.
- Delete https:// from the URL box and paste the database
- Check box to Open as External Resource.
- Select Create.