Link to Articles in Research Databases
You can link to articles from databases in D2L because many vendors give copyright permission
to library patrons to establish links.
Important Note About D2L: Article links must open outside of D2L.
Select "Open in New Window" when creating links.
Access Problems - Spring 2014
Links to articles from some
databases, such as CINAHL, will not work in D2L. We are working with D2L to fix the problem. The workaround is to
create a Document or Discussion Board and put links to articles within the
Document or Discussion Board.
Step 1: Find the Right URL
Instead of using the URL from the web browser, find the persistent URL (PURL) provided by the database.
Below are instructions for finding PURLs in some popular databases:
- Academic or General OneFile (Gale) - Click on
Bookmark this Document in the Tools box to the right and copy the URL.
- ProQuest Central - Find the Document URL below the article
and copy the URL.
- Issues and Controversies (Facts on File) - Find the Record
URL below the article and copy the URL.
- CINAHL (Ebscohost) - Click on Permalink in the Tools box to
the right and copy the URL.
Step 2: Create Links that Work Off-campus
Use the box below to add the proxy prefix so the link will work off-campus by asking patrons to log in with a TUID and password.
Proxy Prefix: https://lcc.idm.oclc.org/login?url=
Step 3: Add the Link to Desire2Learn
Take the link above and add it to Desire2Learn.
You have two options for adding links: create a link or create a document for
the link or multiple links.
Create a Link
- Select Content.
- Select New Link or New Document
- Type the article Title.
- Paste in the URL you copied.
- Check box to Open in New Window.
- Select Create.
Create a Document
- Select Content.
- Select New Document
- Enter a Title for the Document.
- In the text box, type the article title. Highlight the article title and
Insert QuickLink. Paste in the URL you copied.
- Paste in the URL you copied
- Type a Link Caption.
- Click on Insert.
- Click on Publish.