Link to an Article on a Discussion Board
Find out how to add a link to an article from a research database on a
discussion board in Desire2Learn.
Step 1: Find the Right URL
Instead of using the URL from the web browser, find the persistent URL (PURL) provided by the database.
Below are instructions for finding PURLs in some popular databases:
- Academic or General OneFile (Gale) - Click on
Bookmark this Document in the Tools box to the right and copy the URL.
- ProQuest Central - Find the Document URL below the article
and copy the URL.
- Issues and Controversies (Facts on File) - Find the Record
URL below the article and copy the URL.
- CINAHL (Ebscohost) - Click on Permalink in the Tools box to
the right and copy the URL.
Step 2: Create Links that Work Off-campus
Use the box below to add the proxy prefix so the link will work off-campus by asking patrons to log in with a TUID and password.
Proxy Prefix: https://lcc.idm.oclc.org/login?url=
Step 3: Add the Link to a Discussion Board in D2L
Take the link generated above and add it to Desire2Learn.
- Log in to Desire2Learn and click on Discussions in the
blue bar across the top of the screen.
- Click on the title of your Discussion Board you want to
- Select Compose from the Discussion Topic Toolbar. This will
open a new window.
- Enter your post title in the Subject box.
- Enter your post content in the Message box.
To add the article link, click on Insert Quicklink.
- Select the Category - URL.
- In the Link Details box, select http:// and
paste the article URL.
- Type the article title in the Link Caption
- Click on Open In New Window.
- Click on Insert
- Click Post to add your post to the discussion board.
Help with D2L