March Madness – MSU Celebrations
In partnership with Michigan State University and the City of East Lansing, LCC supports the effort to celebrate the NCAA basketball tournaments safely. If you plan on celebrating outside in East Lansing after games, you need to know the law.
- 78% of those individuals arrested in East Lansing on the Saturday of the 2009 NCAA Final Four were not affiliated with Michigan State University.
- Don't block the street or the sidewalks
- Keep moving. Avoid large crowds
- Immediately leave any gathering that has been declared an unlawful assembly - even just observing is participating.
- If you don't leave an unlawful assembly, you are breaking the law and can be arrested
- If you are not a MSU student and are arrested, your school will be notified.
- Any student who is arrested and convicted of a criminal offense related to an unlawful assembly or riot may be subject to sanctions, including suspension or expulsion from Lansing Community College.
- Cooperate with the police. If you believe your rights have been violated by a police officer, obtain the officer's badge number and consider filing a formal complaint later
For more information, please visit http://www.msu.edu/celebrations/.