Skip to content


Your residency status determines your tuition rate. Tuition is the amount of money you pay for each billing hour of courses that you register in each semester. Currently, LCC has four tuition rates:


Students who have lived for six months or more prior to the start of the semester within one of the 15 school districts listed below and pay property taxes to support LCC's budget are classified as in-district. School districts include:





Holt/ Dimondale





East Lansing



Grand Ledge



Michigan Out-of-District

Students who reside in Michigan, but not in one of the above 15 school districts are classified as out-of-district.


Students who live outside of Michigan are classified as out-of-state.


Students who have been admitted to the United States on a temporary, non-immigrant status are classified as an international student.

*If your record reflects Michigan out-of-district for tuition rate, but you believe you qualify for the in-district tuition rate, you must complete and submit a Student Petition for Change of Residency form and include proper documentation as noted under Acceptable proof of residency.

NOTE: Updating your address to an in-district address does not automatically change a Michigan out-of-district residency status to in-district residency status even if an in-district address has been on your record for over six months. You must submit the Student Petition for Change of Residency form.

Check residency status

To see your current residency status, log in to myLCC, click on the Profile tab, and look in the left column under Residency Status.

Change residency status

To ask for a change of residency you will need to provide proof of six months residency in an approved public school district prior to the start of the semester of attendance and complete a Student Petition for Change of Residency form at one on our service centers.

Acceptable proof of residency

  • A valid Michigan Driver's license or State of Michigan Identification card with the student's current address issued not less than 6 months prior to the first day of the semester
  • Paid current year property tax receipts showing tax assessment for LCC. The receipt must include the name of the student (or parent if the student is a dependent as defined by IRS code) as the property owner
  • Rental or lease agreement indicating 6 months residency immediately prior to the start of the semester. Note: Based on move-in date and must include beginning and ending dates; the landlord or property manager's name, address and phone number; and the student's (or parent of dependent student) name and signature.
  • Utility bills with the student's (or parent of dependent student) name and address for each of the 6 months prior to the first day of the semester. Note: Six billing statements, one for each month, must be presented

When to request your change

Each semester has a last date to change residency. The last date is published in the course schedule book. Below are the first dates to submit documentation and a Student Petition for Change of Residency form for each semester.

April 1 - Summer semesters
June 1 - Fall semesters
November 1 - Spring semesters

Other residency information


Foreign Nationals

Foreign nationals who are enrolling in Virtual College courses and reside outside the United States or are admitted to the United States in a temporary, non-immigrant status will be charged international tuition. U.S. Nationals who are enrolling in Virtual College courses and are outside the United States will be charged domestic tuition.

Senior Citizens

If you're age 62 or older on the first day of the semester and a resident of the LCC district six months prior to the beginning of the semester in which you register, or you are a Michigan resident living outside the LCC district, you qualify for reduced tuition. Rates apply to LCC classes taken for audit or credit. Classes with zero billable hours are not covered by the tuition rate reduction. Senior citizens will continue to pay registration, course and facility fees. See current tuition rates.


Military Personnel and Dependents

Residency is based on the location of the present domicile of the student with the six-month requirement waived if the applicant can provide a Department of Defense 214 or 899 . This waiver is extended to the dependents (spouse and children) of the person named on the Department of Defense 214 or 899 who reside at the same address.

Lansing Community College verifies the residency status of each student each semester by mailings sent to the current residence the student has on file with the college. Residency status may be adjusted for those students whose mail is returned to the college. Students petitioning for a change of status will be required to provide proof of residency.

It is a violation of college policy to present false documentation. Registrar staff may verify the validity of the documents presented as proof of residency. Lansing Community College reserves the right to make the final decision on residency eligibility.

More information on residency can be found in the current LCC catalog.

Course Schedules and Registration at Lansing Community College

Gannon Building - StarZone
Phone: (517) 483-1200
Additional contact information »

Facebook Twitter YouTube Flickr