Skip to content

Cafe Scientifique

cafe scientifique

You are cordially invited to come and chat with a scientist about an interesting and/or controversial science topic.  Patterned after the International Cafe Scientifique, the Science Department has initiated an outreach program to promote public interest in science.
Our goal is simply to have regularly scheduled sessions for informal discussions of scientific topics.

January 20, 2015, 7:00pm
Schuler Books - Eastwood Towne Center
Quarks and Leptons
95% of the universe consists of dark matter and dark energy, but neither is directly observable, and their nature is unknown. The remaining 5% is "ordinary" matter - namely, everything we can see, from atoms to galaxies. Learn how physicists discovered tiny particles, called quarks and leptons, that are the fundamental constituents of both ordinary matter and exotic anti-matter. The first clue came from cosmic rays. Dr. Laurence Tarini, LCC Physics Professor, will be our presenter.

Please Note: Two tickets to the April 21 Exclusive Lacks Family Welcome Reception will be raffled off at each of the January, February, and March Cafe Scientifique events. In addition, Schuler Books is offering "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" at a 20% discount through April 2015. (See March 17 Cafe event for more information.)

February 17, 2015, 7:00pm
Schuler Books - Eastwood Towne Center
Evolution of the Human Mind and Brain

Our human mind and consciousness has evolved from an ape mind over the past six million years. How have our brains and genes changed to bring this about? We are very similar to apes in some ways, in which scientists previously thought humans were unique, but quite different in other ways, such as our capacity for joint attention, which scientists had not realized were so important. This talk will present genetic, anatomical, and behavioral evidence bearing on the changes to the brain that supported the emergence of the human mind and its capacity for culture, and describe some of the changes in our DNA that have made all this possible. Dr. Mark Reimers, Professor of Neuroscience at MSU will be our presenter.

Please Note: Two tickets to the April 21 Exclusive Lacks Family Welcome Reception will be raffled off at each of the February and March Cafe Scientifique events. In addition, Schuler Books is offering "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" at a 20% discount through April 2015. (See March 17 Cafe event for more information.)

March 17, 2015, 7:00pm
Schuler Books - Eastwood Towne Center
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Part I)
As part of the "One Book #OneLCC" project, please join us as we discuss Rebecca Skloot's bestseller that delves into the legal, ethical, and scientific aspects of medical research and scientific process. We will explore how science and society has changed (and stayed the same), and view a few related videos. Participants will have an opportunity to submit written questions to the Lacks Family for their presentation and moderated discussion on April 21, at 6:30PM in Dart Auditorium on the LCC main campus. Two tickets to the April 21 Exclusive Lacks Family Welcome Reception will be raffled off at this Cafe Scientifique event. In addition, Schuler Books is offering "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" at a 20% discount through April 2015.

April 21, 2015, 6:30pm
Dart Auditorium on the LCC main campus
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Part II)
Lacks Family presentation and moderated discussion. (See March 17 Cafe event for more information.)

May 19, 2015, 7:00pm
Schuler Books - Eastwood Towne Center
Learn to Love your Microbes
New techniques for sampling and assessing genetic diversity of microbes enable us to determine the taxonomic and functional diversity of the human microbial symbionts for the first time. Information from the Human Microbiome Project and other similar studies can be used to understand the relationship between our symbiotic microbial communities and how they affect, and are affected by, health and disease in humans. We will discuss how influences on our microbiome such as nutrition, probiotics, the immune system and antibiotics affect our health and well-being. LCC Biology Professor Kenneth Davenport will be our presenter.

 

Previous Cafe Scientifique Topics

Please join us.  If you have any questions, please contact Alex Azima by phone 517-483-1110 or by e-mail alex@lcc.edu.

Science at Lansing Community College

Science Department
Arts & Sciences Building, Room 301
Phone: (517) 483-1092
Additional contact information »