Frequently Asked Questions about Installment Payment Plans
Please select a topic from the list below by clicking the link or scroll down the page to view all questions and answers.
- Who needs to sign up for an Installment Payment Plan?
- What's the difference between the installment payment plans and the deferred payment plans?
- How do I enroll in an installment payment plan?
- What if my balance changes during the semester?
- How will I know if I've chosen the correct Installment Payment Plan for my situation?
- Will signing up for an Installment Payment Plan affect my financial aid?
- If I'm receiving financial aid this semester, why do I need to sign up for an Installment Payment Plan?
- How much will the Installment Payment Plan cost?
- How often do I need to sign up for an Installment Payment Plan?
- How will I be notified of my payment information?
- How are payments made?
- If payments are made automatically from my bank account or processed to my credit card, does that mean LCC has direct access to my account?
- What if I don't have a bank account or credit card?
- How do I add an authorized user to my account?
- What is an authorized user in TouchNet?
- When will the payments be withdrawn from my account?
- Will LCC disclose my personal information to a third party?
- Why do I continually receive emails regarding my Installment Payment Plan?
- Can I make a payment on my account balance outside of the scheduled payments in my installment payment plan?
- Can I pay by phone?
- Who do I contact for help?
Lansing Community College requires that all tuition and fees be paid in full by the payment due date. Therefore, in order to secure their classes, all students must complete one of the following:
- Pay their balance in full.
- Sign up for an installment payment plan.
- Sign up for aDeferred Payment Plan (available to select students meeting specific criteria only).
- Submit an authorization form for a third party sponsorship to the Student Finance Office.
The installment payment plan allows students to pay their balance in installments throughout the semester according to specific payment schedules. Depending on when they sign up, students can choose to make biweekly payments; five (5) equal monthly payments with no down payment; three (3) equal monthly payments with a 25% down payment; or two (2) equal monthly payments with a 50% down payment. Please note that the four (4) and three (3) payment options are not available for the summer semester due to the shortened length of that semester.
The Deferred Payment Plan defers activation of the payment plan allowing students the opportunity to complete the financial aid process. If students do not complete the financial aid process in time, lose financial aid, OR still have a balance due after disbursement, LCC will divide the balance due into two equal payments and withdraw the payments in accordance with the Deferred Payment Plan schedule.
Keep in mind that signing up for the Deferred Payment Plan is not an option for every student. The Deferred Payment Plan is only for:
- Students whose FAFSA has been processed by the College and have accepted the Terms and Conditions of Financial Aid PRIOR TO the payment due date.
- Students who have been awarded a scholarship.
- Students who have been awarded an alternative loan.
- Students who have applied for WRC scholarships.
- Students who have filed an authorization form for a third-party sponsorship.
- And other students as determined by Financial Services.
If a student fits into one or more of the above categories, the student's account will be specially coded to allow the student to sign up for the Deferred Payment Plan. All other students will be able to sign up for the other installment payment plans.
Successfully signing up in either plan will secure a student's classes for the semester.
- Log into Banner through MyLCC.
- Click Student.
- Click on TouchNet Student Account Center.
- Click on "I Agree" to be redirected to the secure website.
- Click Payment Plan tab on the top menu bar.
- Click on Enroll Now.
- Select a term from the drop down list and click on Select.
- The installment payment plans you are eligible to enroll in are listed.
- Review the various requirements for the installment payment plans and determine which plan you would like to enroll in.
- Select the installment payment plan name from the drop down listing and click select.
- A description of the plan and plan details are then listed. Click on continue.
- Eligible charges and credits for the select term are presented.
- If the student would like to put a larger down payment than required, input this amount and click display schedule. Click on recalculate schedule and then click on continue.
- Select payment method - either add a new payment method or select a saved payment method.
- Review installment payment plan agreement.
- Must agree to the terms and conditions at the bottom of the page. Click I Agree and then click Continue.
Lansing Community College will update changes to your balance a few business days prior to your payment due date, and subsequent payments will be increased or decreased accordingly. LCC will send you an email if there is a change to your balance that will affect your payments.
**Ultimately, it is the student's responsibility to ensure they are in the appropriate Installment Payment Plan.
Signing up for an Installment Payment Plan will have no impact on the amount of your aid, nor will it speed up (or slow down) the time required to process your aid. Signing up for an Installment Payment Plan will secure your classes, but does not guarantee that financial aid will cover all or any of your charges for the semester.
If I'm receiving financial aid this semester, why do I need to sign up for an Installment Payment Plan?
In order to secure your classes, you MUST sign up for an installment payment plan. Even though you may be receiving a financial aid award, the amount of your award may not cover your outstanding balance in full. In addition, changes to your class schedule or eligibility may cause adjustments/changes to the amount of financial aid you can receive, which could create a balance due to the college. To ensure that you are not dropped from your classes, you must sign up for an Installment Payment Plan.
If you sign up for an Installment Payment Plan, a non-refundable $20 activation fee will be charged to your student account at the time of enrollment and payment will be processed against the chosen payment method at that time, in addition to any scheduled payment that is due according to the payment plan option you choose. All down payments will be processed immediately from the account provided during the enrollment process.
For students signing up under the Deferred Payment Plan, the non-refundable $20 activation fee will be spread between the two scheduled payments. If your balance is paid in full when the Deferred Payment Plan is scheduled to be activated , the plan will not activate, and no activation fee will be assessed.
Each semester, if you do not wish to pay in full by your due date and do not have a third party billing authorization, you must sign up for an Installment Payment Plan. Because the Installment Payment Plan is semester specific, you must sign up for a new installment payment plan each semester.
Once you have completed enrolling in an Installment Payment Plan, you will receive a confirmation notification of your payment amount by email. The notification also serves as a reminder that a non-refundable activation fee of $20 per semester will be charged against your student account at the time of enrollment and payment will be processed against the chosen payment method at that time.
Payments are made electronically by registering a checking account, savings account, or credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) when enrolling in an installment payment plan. Completing the enrollment process for an Installment Payment Plan authorizes LCC to withdraw a specific amount of funds according to a specific payment schedule from the payment method you provide.
If payments are made automatically from my bank account or processed to my credit card, does that mean LCC has direct access to my account?
No one other than your own financial institution and you ever have access to your account. When you arrange to have an automatic payment, you have authorized a specific payment amount to be paid on a specific date by your financial institution.
You must use a bank account or credit card to sign up for an Installment Payment Plan. If you do not have a bank account or credit card and do not wish to open one, you may ask someone else (such as a parent or relative) for permission to use their account. If you choose to use some else's account, you can list that person as an authorized user. The authorized user can only see your billing and payment information.
If you have designated or want to designate an authorized user to access and/or pay your bill you will set up the authorized user in the TouchNet Student Account Center under the Authorized User tab.
As a student, you may authorize others (parents, guardians, employers, etc.) to view your billing information and/or pay bills on your behalf. The authorized user can only see your billing and payment information - all other student account information (classes, grades, etc.) is not visible by authorized users.
If the payment plan option you choose requires a down payment, funds will automatically be withdrawn almost immediately from the account you provide. Except for the biweekly installment payment plan, subsequent monthly payments are scheduled for the 20th of each month, or the following business day if the 20th falls on a weekend or banking holiday. Your financial institution determines the time of the day the payment is debited from your account. LCC recommends that you check with your financial institution to determine how far in advance funds should be deposited into your account to ensure that the automatic payment will clear.
No. TouchNet acts as an agent for institutions in administering payment plans. It is the policy of TouchNet to protect all personal and financial information provided by all participants. TouchNet does not sell or share any nonpublic personal information or client lists to any third party, expect as agreed to by you, or as may be necessary to complete a transaction in the ordinary course of business, or as required under an applicable law.
Every time a credit or charge is posted to the student account it results in a change to your payment amount and you will receive an email notification. If the message states that your new account balance is less than your old balance, this means that there has been a decrease in your balance due with the college (i.e. financial aid arrived, you dropped a course during the refund period, etc.). If the new account balance is greater than your old balance (i.e a class was added or a change in residency was made), this means that your balance due with the college has increased, and you now owe more.
Can I make a payment on my account balance outside of the scheduled payments in my installment payment plan?
Yes, however any payments you wish to make on your account balance outside of your scheduled installment payments must be done in person at the StarZone. You will not be able to make a payment using the online payment option through your Banner Self Service Account.
All installment payments are processed electronically according to your predetermined payment schedule. LCC does not accept payments by phone.
Contact the Lansing Community College Student Finance Office at (517) 483-1272 option 3.
Student Finance Office
2nd Floor - StarZone
Phone: (517) 483-1272 option 3
Monday - Thursday: 8am - 6pm
Friday: 8am - 4pm
Additional contact information »