LANSING COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Title: General Education Requirements, Saginaw Valley State University
The following are Lansing Community College courses that may be used to
satisfy or partially satisfy the 10 General Education categories at Saginaw
Valley State University (SVSU). This guide applies to students enrolling at
SVSU Fall 2009 and after. Students should contact SVSU regarding inactive LCC
courses not appearing on this guide. This guide is subject to change without
notice. SVSU transfer/equivalency information for active LCC courses can be
viewed online at http://transfer.svsu.edu.
BASIC SKILLS: Composition - WRIT 121 or 131
Reading - Test at SVSU
Mathematics - MATH 107 (no transferable credit)
Additional Basic Skills courses may be required depending on placement test
results and/or transfer credits.
SVSU GENERAL EDUCATION LANSING COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Categories and Credits Select course/s from:
1. Literature - 3 credits ENGL 201,202,203,211,212,266,267
2. Arts - 3 credits ARTS 130,211*,212*; ENGL 240; HUMS 140;
* Counts for general education credit for
non-art majors only.
3. Numerical Understanding MATH 120,121,122,126,130,141,151,161;
4 credits MGMT 335; STAT 170,215
4. Natural Sciences - 7 credits ASTR 201; BIOL 120,121,127,128,145,201,202,
from two SVSU departments, 210,229,260,265,270; CHEM 135,151,161;
include one lab science GEOG 121; GEOL 221,222,230; ISCI 121,
course (underlined) 122,131; PHYS 120,221,251
5. History/Philosophy HIST 150,211,212,214,230,260,271;
3 credits HUMS 213,214,215; PHIL 152,153,260,265
6. Social Science - 3 credits ANTH 270; GEOG 202; POLS 201; PSYC 200
7. Social Institutions CJUS 101; ECON 202; POLS 120; SOCL 120,254
8. International Systems BUSN 201; ECON 260; GEOG 200; HIST 250;
3 credits PHIL 211,212; POLS 270
9. Oral Communication CHIN 121,122; FREN/GRMN/JAPN/SPAN
3 credits 121,122,201; SPCH 110,120,130,140;
10. Written Communication ENGL 122,132; HIST 210; PHIL 151;
3 credits WRIT 122,132
SVSU's General Education Requirements also include two Communication Intensive
courses selected from Categories 2-8. Additional course information may be
required for transfer credit evaluation.
No course may be counted in more than one General Education category but may
be counted towards majors and minors.
A student who has fulfilled the thirty (30) credit General Education
requirement specified in the MACRAO Transfer Agreement will have to take no more
than two categories to satisfy SVSU's ten category General Education requirements.
If an evaluation leaves more than two categories unfilled, waivers (not
transfer credits) will be given for credits in categories until two categories
For further information and advising, contact Rebecca Dewald, Coordinator for
Transfer Student Programs & Services, (989) 964-4200/(800) 968-9500 or email
email@example.com; Saginaw Valley State University, 7400 Bay Road, University
Center, MI 48710.
VISIT THE SVSU WEBSITE AT http://www.svsu.edu.
Effective from Fall 2013 through Summer 2014