Applying for Student Employment
- Before You Apply - Word FileTips and Important Information
- Cover Letter Sample - Word FileRequired for all student job postings
- Resume Sample - Word FileOptional Sample and Template to Help Build Your Resume
For in-person assistance with the application, please visit the StarZone on the 2nd floor of the Gannon Building, or call 517-483-1957.
For career advising, resume, and interview assistance, please visit Career and Employment Services in the StarZone, or call 517-483-1957.
The Financial Aid Office and the Career and Employment Services Department partner to offer services related to employment for students. The Financial Aid Office is responsible for the management of all on-campus Student Employment, off-campus Federal Work-Study employment and America Reads Tutors. Career and Employment Services provides employment services such as resume writing assistance and special population resources. All on-campus jobs are posted through Careers at LCC. Off-campus Federal Work-Study and other external jobs are posted through Student Job Link. In order to qualify for all on-campus, off-campus Federal Work-Study and America Reads Tutor positions, the student must meet the following requirements to work as an LCC Student Employee:
- All students must be enrolled and attending the following minimum number of credit
hours each semester
- Fall and Spring Semester(s) - 6.0 credit hours minimum
- Summer Semester - 3.0 credit hours minimum
- International Students (F1/M-1 visa holders) must be enrolled for 12.0 credits hours minimum during fall and/or spring semester(s), unless granted approval by LCC's Global Student Services Coordinator.
- Minimum GPA of 2.00 or have approval to waive requirement from the Student Employment Coordinator
- All students are limited to working 25.0 hours per week during fall, spring and summer semester(s). International students are limited to working 20.0 hours per week during fall and spring semesters only, per US Customs & Immigration Services (USCIS) student visa regulations
Federal Work-Study is a need-based federal program that provides students with employment opportunities, both on- and off-campus, to assist with educational expenses. Students must meet the basic eligibility requirements to receive these funds. To determine the amount of Federal Work-Study awarded, students can access their myLCC account.
Once awarded, the student must apply online to posted positions in order to secure employment. Receiving a Work-Study award does not guarantee employment at Lansing Community College or at authorized off-campus employers. Student applicants are hired based on their skills and abilities related to each job.
After being hired, students work to earn the Work-Study funds. The earnings are paid to the student bi-weekly. Students can earn up to the amount awarded. If the student earnings exceed the amount awarded, the hiring department will determine if department funds are available to retain the student and continue their employment.
The StarZone is home to many student service departments such as admissions, academic advising, financial aid, student finance, testing and more! Visit the Enrollment Support Specialists in the StarZone for help with admissions, class registration, general financial aid questions and more.
Toll Free: 800-644-4522
411 N. Grand Ave
Lansing, MI 48933
Admissions, Registration, & Records
Phone: 517-483-1200 option 2
Phone: 517-483-1200 option 1
Phone: 517-483-1200 option 4